Friday 25th Apr '08

Dunsborough Day 2

Even though most of us partied through the night, we were still up at a reasonable time and set about preparing breakfast. I love to cook for everyone when we go away. We had set out with a rough meal plan the week before our trip so that I could get all the groceries together. It really helps save time (and money) if you put in the effort to get organised before you leave.

We had a big brekkie cookup: bacon, eggs sunny-side-up, mushrooms, tomato and toast.


After breakfast, we headed into the town of Dunsborough to pick up a few things in the supermarket and walked around. We then decided to head back home for a BBQ lunch and go fishing afterwards. On the spur of the moment, Long decided to scout for an outdoor area we could have our lunch at instead of in the little yard of the house. Really fantastic decision because he found Meelup beach. Although it was a little chilly, I really wished I had brought my swimming gear along to take a dip in the beautiful clear water.


After lunch, we drove further down the coast and set up on some rocks to try to catch our dinner. After about half an hour of nibbles and getting our lines snagged on rocks, Benoit finally caught the first one, and it started us off. I caught the second one a few minutes later. Ivy and I caught most of the fish with everyone else catching one each. I wish we could have stayed but the sun set and we were being attacked by mosquitoes.


Back at home, Long, Maggie and Kong did the dirty work of scaling and gutting the fish. Benoit seasoned and prepared the fish for cooking. I chucked them in the oven, panfried the rest of the 'doughy-eyed' fish, and baked some potatoes-in-the-jacket. I had made a salad for lunch but we were unable to eat it at the beach since we had not brought along any cutlery, which was just as well because it went perfectly with dinner.


Teresa had told me recently that she had seen lamb or chicken seasoned with coffee - yes coffee - on TV so I suggested that Benoit season one of the fish with it. It came out a success!! Really subtle coffee flavour.


After dinner, we all settled infront of the TV again for another night of karaoke, poker and drinking.

No comments: