Friday 9th May '08

Tonight I had Ling, Shallen, Vicky and Kong over for dinner.

the stuffing

I set about trying something new. Using a food processor, I made a stuffing using wholemeal bread, fresh basil, garlic and onion. I pressed the stuffing into little 'logs'. I then butterflied some pork chops and placed a 'log' onto each piece and a generous slice of fetta. I rolled the pork up tightly and tied it together with some string. Into the oven they go!

For the side dishes, I used some Royal Blue potatoes to make a mash. After adding the usual milk, salt and butter, I decided to go for something different. I mixed in some thawed frozen chopped spinach - spinach and potato mash.

I also made panzanella that Marissa and Teresa taught me to make one night when I was over for dinner at their place. It's a traditional Italian 'bread salad' where they traditionally use their stale bread. Toss together some garlic, onion, diced tomato, fresh rocket and basil, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. You break up some bread and mix it through the salad and it will become soft when it absorbs the dressing.

As my guests arrived, they made a start on the platter of stuffed bell peppers, dolmades, Philadelphia cream cheese, Provencale cheese and crackers. Vicky was running late so the rest of us started (and finished) dinner without her.

olive oil & balsamic vinegar

the platter


Main Stuffed Pork Chop Rolls
Sides Spinach & Potato mash, Panzanella


After dinner, we spent the rest of the night snacking and singing karaoke. Ling came up with a surprisingly great combination:

Smoked Mussel and Seaweed on a Smiths Original Crinkle Cut Potato Chip

No comments: