Tuesday 22nd Jul '08

I slept in today until the early afternoon! I finally got myself out of bed around 2:30pm. I had some leftover curry with a bread roll while writing up a 'to do' list for the week. For today, I would be heading out to City Farmers on High Road, Willetton. I had come across their catalogue in the newspaper on the weekend and they were having a sale. I wanted to get Simba a jacket and more fish for my tank.

I strolled out of City Farmers with a huge grin and bags of goodies. I found a gorgeous purple rain jacket with a detachable hood for Simba. The best bit was when I bought this jacket, I got the second one for only an additional $2!! I bought some plastic plants for the fish tank - the prices were reduced AND they were buy one, get one free. I also bought ten neons and a couple of catfish as they were discounted.

Afterwards, on the recommendation of the guy who helped me at City Farmers, I went down the road to Pisces Aquariums and they have a large selection of fish and live plants. I will have to go back to get some plants when I finally get some gravel into the tank and a proper light.

On the way home, I remembered the small pet shop I'd seen many times whenever I go shopping at Centro Maddington. I decided to stop there before they close. It was 4:45pm by the time I got to Peppe's Aquarium and Pet Centre, but I managed to grab all the things I needed in the one place. I had been looking for a light for my main tank and a small glass tank and setup to separate the guppy fry I've just been blessed with in the last few days. The staff there were so friendly and fantastic. I know I paid a bit more than I could have if I'd gone elsewhere, particularly Coles, but when the staff are genuinely helpful and friendly, I like to help out the smaller businesses by forking out a bit more.

So...just over $300 later, I arrived home brimming with excitement to get stuck into setting up my new tank and showing Simba his new wardrobe additions.


Awwww...isn't he gorgeous!??


While doing a water change for the maintank, I felt a hypoglycaemic attack coming on so went to see what my mum was making for dinner to see if I could have some. She was steaming a whole fish, just the way I like - excellent!

Red Emperor with ginger, coriander,
soy sauce and tomatoes


After scoffing it down, it was back to work. First, I did a water change for the main fish tank and had my Dad help me out with setting up the new light I got. I rinsed out the new gravel I bought about twenty times. I did not want to kill my new guppy fry with dirty rocks. *cringes when she thinks of Prometheus*

I set up the small tank with a heat source and the smaller light that the guys had given me when they set up my tank for my birthday. Perfect! All I had to do was move the new tenants in after the heat was stabilised.

the new tank for the guppy fry



my main tank - the water is still green from the medication but it's slowly clearing up each time I do a water change


Later, I had a craving for some soup so I made some.

carrot, celery and fennel soup with pasta

No comments: