Sunday 19th Oct '08

Simba waiting outside Mum's room


Lunch
Smoked Salmon
Cream Cheese with Dill


Tonight Long was shouting us to dinner in celebration of his coming home to Perth from a trip to Vietnam, and his new employment. We went to Hogs Breath in Northbridge. I haven't been there for years, but I still have my frequent diners discount card!

As everyone was arriving, we began playing with the gifts Long had brought back for us. He got us some little toys that look like dragonflies or giant mosquitoes. You put them on something by creating contact between their 'nose' and the surface and they balance. We eventually managed to balance three on top of each other, then in circle with their wings overlapping - simple things!

There was a bit of miscommunication when we placed our orders. Our waitress told us that they had run out of prime ribs - after we had placed all our orders. We were baffled - how could they run out of their signature steak!?? We were told shortly that we could select one of the other cuts of beef to replace the prime rib, but then the waitress came back a third time to tell us that there was some confusion and they had enough prime ribs to fill our order. *phew* Crisis averted.

I ordered the Prime Rib with Mushrooms. They've changed the menu but it's been so long ago since I've eaten there that all I know is that the menu has changed but I couldn't tell you what's different - haha.

everyone else's meals


After dinner, we headed back to Ivy and Benoit's place were I was overcome with a craving for pancakes. Susan and I stopped at Il Gelato to get some gelato to go with the pancakes.

pistachio, cookies & cream, vanilla
wildberry sorbet, lychee sorbet


Benoit set to work (he knows his place, that's right - in the kitchen, woman!) whipping up some batter. The first few pancakes didn't work out so well...so I used a different pan and tried to make some. I made really small ones, more like pikelets. The first one was by far the best one. The ones after that just really looked crap.

my first perfect pancake!


Some came out in funny shapes and I think some weren't properly cooked through, but I had to take them off the heat because they were burning. I didn't believe Susan when she said hers tasted a bit raw, even though I tried some of it too. But afterwards when I ate mine, I think mine was a bit raw - hee hee my bad.

At least the yummy gelato was good!

As for the pancake craving - not so satisfied.

No comments: