Friday 28th Nov '08

Yuki Restaurant

Tonight we caught up for dinner at Yuki on Collins Road, Willeton. I’ve never been there before, don’t travel that way much since Roe Highway went through that direction. There’s a little collection of eateries all in the one place.

I almost squealed in delight when I saw Ling and Shallen waiting for us in one of the raised tables where we could sit cross legged. The restaurant’s decor did an impressive job at creating a casual and almost authentic traditional Japanese feel. There were screens used as partitions between tables and to cordon off sections, bamboo (fake, I assume) to add the splash of natural green colour. Simple, yet by no means tacky. You didn’t quite feel that you’d been whisked away to a restaurant in Japan but there was enough to create a comfortable ambience.

Enough about the decor, what about the food!?

Myself - ‘Bento C’ with Unagi & Spring Rolls


Yen Chen - Sashimi with Rice


Kong - Tempura Don


Meng - Teriyaki Chicken - minus the seaweed garnish


Shallen - ‘Bento B’ with Teriyaki Fish


Ling - ‘Bento C’ with Unagi & Gyoza


I’m pretty sure Shallen ordered the fish...it looks like fish in the photo!??
Ling’s and my ‘Bento C’ came with unagi on a bed of shredded cabbage, salad with that yummy vinegar and orange dressing, nori rolls, tempura, miso soup, rice and our choice of either gyoza or spring rolls. It cost just under $24 - great value for money, I thought! He and I also shared some warm sake. It was nothing in comparison to the sake that Ling and Shallen would have tasted whilst in Japan, but I suppose they can reminisce and keep fond memories. Afterall, isn’t that the reason we travel – to see, experience and taste the real authentic thing.


After dinner, we all went back to Ling and Shallen’s place where we just veged out, chatted and shared some beers I’d brought over. One of my favourite songs came on the stereo – Celine Dion’s “These Are the Special Times” and I had a quiet moment to sing to myself, Yes, these are the special times. Times we’re together. These are the precious times, the tender times we hold in our hearts forever. Yes, I’m getting all soppy. But it really does make me feel all gooey inside to know that I have such great friends and we’re happy to just sit and share each other’s company. I’m really going to miss spending time with them during Christmas this year.

On a lighter note, we got to talking about feet somehow, and it was revealed that I have flat feet. Yes, I thought they all knew but they didn’t. I know I’ve told them in passing, but they didn’t really comprehend what I’ve meant all this time - ha ha Here’s a photo just to freak you all out.


Basically, I’m missing the muscles on the inner part of my foot that creates the ‘arch’. So, my feet sit flat on the ground and look like they’re rolling inwards. That’s why I always have trouble wearing flat shoes, but can wear heels for hours on end because the downward pressure is then concentrated on the top half of my foot and heel instead of having my foot ‘roll inwards’ and making contact with the ground...if that makes any sense at all.

Anyhoo...we got the munchies of course and Ling tried some fish crackers in the microwave. They turned out quite nice, but we noticed a subtle difference in the taste and texture. There wasn’t the oiliness that remains on your fingers after eating one, the taste was more fishier and lacked the flavour of the oil. There were also small parts of the cracker that wouldn’t cook, which we had to discard since they were too hard to eat. Much like when I cook pappadums in the microwave. I always get patches that don’t cook properly because you can’t ‘stretch’ it out as you do when you’re deep-frying them in hot oil.

No comments: