Thursday 18th Dec '08

Singapore Day 17


[0845hrs]
tuna roll
sausage in a bun
3-in-1 coffee


[1330hrs] Our cousin, Kim Kee, took us out for lunch. We travelled by MRT to Chijmes and didn’t get lost this time. We were having lunch at a Chinese restaurant.

Lei Garden

We were shown to our table and before Jocelyn had a chance to take a photo of us, a waitress came by and whisked away our table’s centerpiece - a vase with some fake flowers. Never mind, we asked for the flowers back later on and then took another photo with them on the table!

Kim Kee ordered a banquet set lunch for us.

double boiled fish soup


prawns in Cognac sauce


roast duck & jellyfish


steamed whole fish


bean curd with Chinese vegetables


crab fried rice


dessert
- unfortunately I couldn't find a menu online so I don't remember what this dish was called


[1500hrs] After lunch, we split up. I walked via the Citylink, which is basically a long underground corridor of boutiques and stores, to get to Suntec City.


I couldn’t resist capturing photos of a few of the stores I came across.

an ice-creamery - mmm… cream


a shoe boutique


some sort of clothing store


whee - finally got to Suntec City


[1700hrs] Exhausted of walking around, I came across this Belgian restaurant when their ‘happy hour’ billboard caught my eye. Stella Artois pints for $7.50!


Oosters Belgian Brasserie

It was practically empty inside so I sat at a booth table by the window. I asked the waitress how large the serve of fries was. She said it was really big so I opted for a bowl of soup. I’m meeting up with Christina, Jocelyn and my cousin, David, for drinks soon so I didn’t want to eat too much just in case we were going for dinner as well.

Onion soup - SD$9.00
‘the traditional Belgian hangover cure! A hearty soup with
finely chopped onions and a slice of toasted cheese sticks’


My soup arrived to me lukewarm. I had it sent back and it got returned me after being zapped in the microwave. As for the ‘slice of toasted cheese stick’ - it was a piece of toasted bread (resembling the biscotti you get with a coffee) that was placed on the rim of my bowl. Hmm…it wasn’t anything special. Didn’t titillate my tastebuds the slightest. It was rather ordinary. The French onion soup I made several months ago was much better! The soup left me feeling unsatisfied, so I ordered a bowl of fries anyway. The waitress was right - it was a large bowl. But I could have managed at least half of it had I not had the soup first. Argh.

frites with mayo - SD$10.00


[1830hrs] Christina, Jocelyn, David and I met up outside Raffles City and headed to our destination for drinks.


New Asia Bar

This bar is located on the 71st floor of the Stamford Swissotel. It brought back memories for me as I’d been there earlier in the year with Marissa and Teresa. We had some cocktails and chilled out until it was time for dinner.

Blackberry Smash - SD$12.00 (happy hour)
- Sagatiba Rum smashed up with Blackberry & fresh Lemon Juice, drizzled with Chambord


Stamford Tower - SD$12.00 (happy hour)
- their signature cocktail!


gorgeous gingerbread house on the 71st floor

the new floating soccer platform

outside a bank...sounds like they could help me...


[2030hrs] David took us to a restaurant owned and run by his friend, Willin.

Wild Rocket at Mount Emily


This restaurant is situated on the ground floor of a hotel, right beside one of Willin’s other establishments, the Wild Oats Bar by the Park.

We were wondering if Willin knew we were there and our question was answered when the waiter brought us some complimentary entrée dishes from Willin.

entrée
deep fried home-made tofu
deep fried soft shell crab


mains
Christina - steak (looks like a sirloin)
David - mushroom fettucine
myself & Jocelyn - lamb shank


The tables had a cute little centerpiece of a red glass with real dried holly and berries. Much more sophisticated than draping tinsel around the place. It added a nice chic Christmas touch.

my mojito


As we were having our desserts, Willin himself took time out from the kitchen to sit down and have a chat with us. Really nice, friendly guy who found his passion for cooking while studying overseas in the UK and suffering a lack of good quality food. He’s self-taught and really gives me hope that perhaps someday I’ll be able to follow my dreams and get into the food industry. Perhaps catering.

dessert
panna cotta
self-saucing chocolate pudding




[2300hrs] We finally made it to the karaoke place on Orchard Road where we were meeting our other cousin, Richard.

driving down Orchard Road

tee hee

No comments: