Friday 23rd Jan '09

Lunch
Haggis
with mashed suedes & potato


Andrea, hailing from Scotland, brought me haggis today! Her friend brought it into Australia in a can. Obviously, because I doubt a fresh authentic Haggis would make it past customs, let alone the beagles. I was a bit nervous about eating haggis, but as soon as I saw it in the fridge, I was pleasantly surprised. I wasn’t met with a huge chunk of bloody innards sitting in a container, but instead a cute little packed lunch. From left to right, the mashed suede, the haggis, and the potato. It was like a little ‘trio’. The haggis looked like minced up meat or lentils. I heated it up, eager to tear away outside and into the garden to gobble it up.

I have to say, even though this is my first time eating haggis, it was DELICIOUS! A nice, hearty meal out in the sunshine. What else could a girl ask for? Well, alot, but we make do with what we have, don’t we?

I loved the mashed suede! I’ve had suedes in stews but never thought to have it mashed...must ask Andrea if she adds anything special to it and make it myself one day.

If you’re reading this, THANKS ANDREA!


After work, I rushed into the city to meet up with friends. I ended up changing in the car when I got to the car park - ha ha! I’m no stranger to doing this, so I was quick, methodical, and discreet just in case anyone happened to walk past. On the way to our rendezvous point, I went into David Jones to grab a soy macchiato and then popped into Novo and Live. I bought a top that was on sale within ten minutes, then went outside to the entrance of Myer to wait for my friends. I was happily standing there, feeling proud of myself for my bargain shopping and sipping my coffee, when I happened to glance down and was horrified that coffee had dripped out of my cup and onto my dress – my white dress that I had only just gotten drycleaned last week. WAH!

With quick thinking, I grabbed some ‘wet wipes’ that weren’t so wet anymore since I’d opened the packet, and rehydrated them with my water bottle and luckily got most of the coffee out. It’s barely noticeable so that’s fortunate. I really didn’t want to walk around with coffee all over my dress, and changing back into my uniform was not a preferred option.


NAO – Sushi & Izakaya


On Murray Street, across the street from Han’s Cafe, is this little Japanese eatery. I rarely go to the city nowadays so it’s always great when my friends take me to these little hidden away places.

I had the Spicy Ramen with a slice of Char Siew (top right)
Not sure what everyone else got...
I think Ivy got the Teriyaki Fish (bottom)


No kidding, my dish actually did arrive with just the one slice of pork. However, my noodles were yummy and the spicy soup they came it was delightful! I had to wear my napkin as a bib though. I’ve already spilt coffee on myself today, don’t want to have to deal with spicy noodle soup too.

No comments: