Wednesday 2nd September '09

Lunch at Work
Lasagne Pot


Afternoon Snack
Potato & Sweet Potato Bake


On the way home I stopped at the shops. I didn't know what to have for dinner. I needed something that wouldn't irritate my sore throat and I needed something more substantial than soup. I picked up some beef osso bucco cuts from the supermarket.

Osso Bucco
  1. Coat the osso bucco pieces in plain flour, cracked black pepper and sea salt.

  2. Heat some olive oil in a heave-based casserole dish/pan and lightly brown the osso bucco pieces and set aside. If you don't have a heave-based casserole dish, just use a regular frypan and then transfer everything over to an ovenproof casserole dish.
  3. In the same pan, sautee some onions and then add carrots for a few minutes.
  4. Season with some thyme and Vegeta.
  5. Add some canned crushed tomatoes and red wine.

  6. Bring to the boil, place lid on the dish and bake in the oven at 180C for about an hour and a half, occasionally stirring or just shake the dish a bit.


I would have added some celery if I had any. Perhaps some parsnips and potatoes would have been nice too but I didn't want to make too much. Just enough for dinner tonight and for lunch at work tomorrow.

I made some garlic mashed potatoes to serve it with. Basically just mashed potatoes with cracked sea salt, cracked black pepper, milk, butter and crushed garlic.

Osso Bucco with Garlic Potato Mash


Yikes - this turned out splendid! A really warm, hearty meal. Perfect for this cold weather we're having even though it's the the second day of spring.

The piece of bone had some juicy marrow - yum!

No comments: