Friday 23rd April 2010

Before work today, I set to work in the kitchen to make meals for the next few days.

On the menu: Lasagna & Eggplant Moussaka

I defrosted homemade tomato sauce and lamb mince overnight. All to do today is to make the bechamel sauce and assemble the dishes.

I googled a quick recipe for the bechamel sauce and set to work making it. I think in hindsight I must have read the measurement for the plain flour wrong. I think instead of using tablespoons I should have used teaspoons. After adding the warm milk, the mixture was really thick. It resembled choux pastry. I thought 'Do I start from scratch or do I add more milk to try to thin it out?' I decided to try adding more milk. I added almost a litre and managed to get it to a spreadable consistency. I didn't want to waste my other ingredients so I did a test run.

In a small ramikin I put a spoonful of the lamb mince with the tomato sauce, and a spoonful of the bechamel sauce. I baked it for about fifteen minutes.

Verdict: Yum!!

The consistency of the bechamel was thick and creamy and it was like eating a little pot of lasagna without the pasta. Time to continue with the dishes!


Eggplant Moussaka
Layers of eggplant, zucchini, the lamb and tomato mixture and bechamel sauce on the top to finish it off. I grilled the eggplant and zucchini on the sandwich press first.


Lasagna
I layered instant lasagna sheets, the lamb mince and tomato mixture, and the bechamel sauce. Finish off with a layer of bechamel.


I got stuck into the moussaka before work!

No comments: