Tuesday 20th April 2010

Vincent, Victoria and Vernon came over for dinner tonight. I had to pop out in the evening so I needed to time everything just right so that dinner would be ready when they arrived. Cooking isn't just throwing things together and creating something to eat. Timing is a crucial element so that you can have all the different components ready to be served at the same time. I think I succeeded!

Challenge: To have dinner ready by 7pm
Obstacle: Run an errand between 6:30-7pm

[5:30pm] Preheat the oven to 200C and prepare the lamb.

I bought two lamb leg roasts as they were on special. I stuffed some garlic and fresh rosemary into the lamb and seasoned with sea salt, pepper and olive oil.

[5:45pm] Put the lamb into the oven.

I prepared the vegetables - potatoes, carrots, pumpkin, onion and garlic.

I parboiled the potatoes, then tossed them with some olive oil and sea salt with the carrots and pumpkin.

[6:00pm] I took the lamb out of the oven, them arranged the onions and garlic in the same tray and poured in some Vegeta stock.


[6:05] I returned the lamb and the vegetables (on a separate tray) to the oven.

The lamb will need an hour to cook so I headed out on my errand. I ran a bit late so I got home shortly after my guests arrived.

[7:15pm] DINNER IS SERVED!



I love a roast dinner. I don't cook them often enough because it's too big a meal for just me to get through. I'd be left eating leftovers for days.

My guests brought dessert.

Sara Lee's Cookies & Cream Bavarian Cheese Cake

I haven't had bavarian cheese cake for yonks! Not since the years when KFC used to run the promotion where you get a chocolate bavarian cheesecake with the family value meal. This one was sooo yummy!

No comments: