Friday 10th September 2010

I had an awesome day today! At work I was shown how to take blood from a patient.

That's right, I bled a person.

It's been one of those things I've been wanting to do for the past several years but haven't been afforded the opportunity to do at where I used to work. I could have paid to go to a short course but what's the point? Phlebotomy is a skill that you need to learn through actually performing the act of drawing blood from someone. It's one of those skills that you can only learn on the job.

I have dreamt of the moment of jabbing someone with the syringe for so many years. I imagine the syringe piercing the patient's flesh...and then a spray of blood flying across the room and me flustering around, not knowing what to do. A bit melodramatic but that's the daydream I have.

So, when I actually did it for real today, I was high on adrenalin. I was only worried if something should go wrong or if I hurt the person who was my guinea pig. But my hands were steady. I was confident. If I wasn't holding onto the syringe and slowly drawing out the person's blood, I would have squealed and jumped for joy!

We spent the better part of the afternoon gathered around a table enjoying some afternoon tea. A few of us brought in some snacks. It seems it's the thing to do on Fridays in the lab. I brought in some of the satays I made last night. Someone else brought in some party pies, vanilla slice and pastry. I started off cutting myself a small piece of the vanilla slice, and then ate more. So good!


TAKA JAPANESE
Shafto Lane, 347 - 417 Murray Street, Perth


Sashimi (sml) - $6.5

The sashimi wasn't good. The squid and mackerel were so rubbery. I could barely manage to swallow them.

Mixed Tempura (sml) - $6

The tempura was much better.

We went for coffee at the Coffee Club in the city afterwards.


Back at Ling and Shallen's place, we put together some nibblies. I brought over a bottle of chilled champagne. No, not sparkling. Actual real champagne from France.

No comments: