Saturday 9th October 2010

ROSE HERITAGE CAFE
40 Masonmill Road, Carmel

Since we hit spring, I have been itching to go here to see the flowers that would be in bloom and enjoy the fresh - albeit pollen-ridden - air and sunshine.



We each ordered the Melville sparkling 'rose-ade' - $6.2

I love that they incorporate rose petals into the ice blocks. The drink is so refreshing and so very very pretty to look at.

Eggs Benedict with Smoked Salmon - $16.5
Served on a toasted English muffin and topped with
crisp baby spinach, poached eggs and hollandaise sauce.


Lots of gooey yolk!


Teresa had to wait about another ten minutes after ours were served and then she found that her eggs were undercooked. She sent it back and we were all disappointed to find that the kitchen simple microwaved the eggs and added more sauce over the top. Despite this, we still all enjoyed our breakfast. I think we were all too taken with the relaxing, warm atmosphere and gorgeous surroundings to really dwell on the bad points of the breakfast.

While we were waiting for our coffee and cake to arrive, I saw a creature dart across the ground. It came from inside the cafe, from where the kitchen is situated. My jaw dropped and I was literally speechless. All I could do was gape at the creature, incredulously, thinking it was a giant rat! The couple at the table beside me caught my stunned expression and looked themselves and were also quite surprised and caught off guard. The creature crawled around under our tables, nimbly searching out crumbs beneath the tables. When the waitress brought out our cake, I asked her what the creature was, still thinking it couldn't possibly be a giant rat. She told us it was a bandicoot. A bandicoot! I didn't know we had them in Australia!

OOoh the cakes were really good! We made sure to choose from the fresh arrivals we had seen the staff putting away when we got there.

Lemon Meringue Pie


Berry Tart


Very disappointing to find my soy macchiato was curdled.



It was a pity Marissa had to leave us to go to work but Teresa and I went to the Boatshed Markets in Cottesloe. I have heard of this place, in particular from radio advertisements, but never been. I was like a kid in a candy store the second we stepped foot into the place.

Foodie heaven.

I oohed and aahed my way through the store, stopping for an extra long moment in the cheese section to try all the free samples. The store is gorgeously vibrant but also very expensive. Perhaps I should frequent it more often in the hopes of meeting a wealthy single guy who loves to cook with fresh produce.

We picked up a basketful of things and headed home to put dinner together.

For starters, we shared cheeses and antipasto.


I absolutely love the pradera that I almost
climaxed over in the store when I was gobbling up the free sample cubes.


Sicilian green olives and cheese stuffed peppers.
I love the gorgeous, vibrant green colour of these olives.


What dinner with the Pelles would be complete without Mr Pelle's homemade sausage?


This Tasmanian brie smelt like the scrubbed brie that I bought a while back. A pungent odour that I haven't acquired a taste for. Smelly smelly socks!


Teresa melted this brie in the microwave and we dipped bread into it.
It's a salty cheese and quite strong.


I love trying new cheeses! I think we overdid it tonight though - so much cheese was left over!


Teresa made Pappardelle Pomodoro with a
simple, rich tomato sauce and fresh pasta from the Boatshed Markets.


For dessert, I helped dice up some tinned jackfruit and Teresa made jackfruit ice cream. It was a success!

Mamma mia! What a huge day of eating!

No comments: