Monday 21st Apr '08

Today I had Vernon, Victoria, Vincent and Aunty Jane over for lunch. The kids are on school holidays and I had the day off work. We had Mexican for lunch.


Having worked the weekend, I didn't have time to do any grocery shopping. I had some homemade bolognaise sauce in the freezer so that gave me inspiration for the Mexican theme for lunch. I thought I had a can of mixed beans in the pantry, but I didn't. So...I used a can of butter beans intead. I mixed the beans through the bolognaise sauce and we used this mixture to fill the burittos with.

Vincent helped maked the nachos, which we heated in the microwave. Just orginal flavoured Doritos layered with some grated Mainland "Tasty" cheese and served with some CC's salsa and sour cream.

Later that evening, I went to Marissa's to have dinner. I helped to peel some garlic for a special dish Teresa had come up with the night before. Marissa 'washed' some bread to go with it. The bread is Italian and called 'Frese Bianche'. It is sold in a dry form so you could easily mistake it for a frisbee made of bread. What you do is wet it and it absorbs the water and becomes soft. I took some home and Jocelyn thought it was really stale bread and almost threw it out!


Teresa made her special dish - I won't give away the recipe but it was utterly to die for. I guess one way to describe it is a garlic tapenade. It went beautifully with the moistened 'frese bianche'.



For mains was a hearty vegetable soup with tortellini and silverside that had been cooked in the soup but taken out to be served as a side. Marissa and I enjoyed the silverside together with the soup. It was so tender that if there had been a bone, it would have slid right off it.


All enjoyed with a bottle of Leeuwin Estate 2004 Classic Dry White.

No comments: