Thursday 17th Jul '08

I didn't know what to take to work for lunch today. I hate when I fall into ruts like this and have no inkling of what I feel like eating. I usually settle for a can of soup or something, but not today. I packed the rest of the rocket and made a quick salad.

Rocket & Sardine Salad
with sweet chilli dressing


I again made the dressing using Teresa's sweet chilli sauce. Yum! I cannot recommend it highly enough!! If anyone's interested in some, let me know and I will arrange for you to get your hands on some!

I also heated one of my soups that are now in the work freezer for days like this. I chose the mushroom soup. After reheating, I added a dash of fresh milk and stirred it in - voila - it is now creamy mushroom soup.

Tonight Ling graciously offered us his place to host another steamboat night. Unlucky for Shallen since she was away in New Zealand for work, but good for the rest of us! We each brought something to the table and again it amazes me that we can all somehow manage to each bring something different. Whenever we have it potluck style, I'm always worried that we'll end up with everyone bringing the same dish so we usually try to figure out who is bringing what as part of the preparations leading up to the event.



enoki mushrooms
fishballs
fish cakes
crab cakes
otak otak in beancurd
yong tau fu
baby corn
tofu rolls
mixed seafood tofu dumplings
chinese cabbage
fish
misua
bee hoon
rice


We had a separate pot for Marie as she likes her steamboat stock to be a tom yum soup base. The rest of us enjoyed the stock that Ling made - I forgot to ask what he put in it. I knew I was making the capsicum yong tau fu since I already had some of the fish/chicken mince left over from previous steamboats. I was at the Chinese supermarket when I saw some beancurd sheets and decided to get some. Once home, I came across some 'otak otak' paste I've had for a while. I decided to wrap it up in the beancurd sheets. They turned out quite well!

Kong also brought along those noodles that I have come to really like! They're called misua on the packet and come in a box in little bundled serves.



After dinner, we all pitched in to help clean up. See anything wrong with the above photo? Meng put the raw yong tau fu in the takeaway box with cooked rice heehee. Nice one =)

Back at home, Simba was asleep infront of the TV with Christina.

No comments: