Friday 18th Jul '08

I had the day off work today so I happily slept in until the early afternoon. I spent a few hours updating my blog (still trying to catch up with the posts after my modem wasn't working for two weeks) and then reluctantly got myself ready to head out. I had a lecture and dinner to go to at the Mercure Hotel in the city. I really didn't want to go out as it looked so dark and stormy outside all day. However, these work do's usually have a really yummy dinner and free drinks!

Since I hadn't been at work today, I was unaware of the Riverside Drive road closures and I got stuck in traffic down St George's Terrace for an hour. By the time I managed to get onto Wellington Street, the traffic had slowed right down and I was still about four blocks from the hotel and the lecture would be starting in about half an hour. My left leg was so sore from sitting on the clutch for an hour on and off (I drive a manual) and I was in no mood for a work do - dinner or no dinner. I managed to turn off at the next set of lights and headed to Ben and Ivy's place to go have dinner with them.

We went to Yup Kee on Guildford Road, which is just down the road from where they live. Being such a gloomy and stormy night, they were not yet busy but by the time we left, they were pretty much full. Here's what we had:

Myself: Seafood Laksa

Ivy: Kuay Teow

Ben: Ho Fun


Back at Ben and Ivy's place, Kong joined us and we watched some TV while Ben made us dessert out of what ingredients he had on hand. The end result looks exactly like the picture even though there were minor alterations of the recipe. Basically they're rice balls with coconut and sultanas.

'Delicious Ground Rice Savouries'

No comments: