Friday 17th Oct '08

Simba knows when it's just about time for Mum to come home from work in the early afternoon. Even though I'm home and free to play with him, he'd rather go and wait in the lounge room to hear her car pulling up outside. On occasion, he'll even get up onto the window sill to nap in the warm sunshine while he waits.

For my breakfast - or should I say, my first meal for the day upon wakening - I felt like eggs so I made an omelette. It's been yonks since I've made one so I sorta forgot how to make it properly haha. I fried the onions in some olive oil until they were softened, but I added the rest of the ingredients - red capsicum, mushroom and chives - to the egg mixture. In my excitement upon seeing the gorgeous brilliant colours in the bowl, I forgot that I should have actually sauteed the ingredients with the onions before adding the egg last. Normally I add some cream, milk or cheese to the egg but today I added about a tablespoon of water, which made the omelette come out soooo light. Although the mushrooms and capsicum were still rather raw, it was still a nice light omelette.


I went grocery shopping in preparation for the BBQ I'm having tomorrow. Throughout the week I'd made a list of the things I'd be making and was also prioritising the things I needed to get done in my head.

Today I'm going to make the skewers so that they can marinate overnight. I chopped up some eggplant, red capsicum and red onion. Half the skewers are going to be with the vegetables and some beef, the other half are going to be just with vegetables.

I marinated the beef (chuck steak) with ground coriander, ground cumin, curry powder and Asian five spice. The blend of spices smelled fantastic!! With the vegetable skewers, I marinated those with the remainder of some Masterfoods marinade in the fridge. I think it was garlic and honey mustard. Something like that.

I also used all the little tiny royal blue potatoes my mum had bought to make one of my favourites - bacon and cheese potatoes. My mum started making these for us years ago and my sisters and I absolutely love them! I usually make them whenever I have a BBQ. They're great as finger food, or if you use bigger sized potatoes, they can be quite filling.

Bacon & Cheese Potatoes

  1. Boil the potatoes until they're cooked. Drain them and put them aside until they're cool enough to handle.
  2. Cut each potato in half and scoop out a hollow in each half using a spoon. Scoop the potato so that it becomes a mash, not just large pieces.
  3. Add some sliced bacon, 'mixed herbs' and pepper to the 'mashed' potato and mix.
  4. Refill the hollowed out potato halves with the mixture.
  5. Cover each half potato with grated tasty cheese.
  6. Bake in the oven until the cheese melts and begins to brown.


For dinner I had some noodle soup.

Bee Hoon with Sliced Fish Cake
Pimms with Ginger Ale & a slice of Orange

No comments: