Thursday 16th Oct '08

Today I spent a few beautiful cloudy hours in the garden getting rid of what I thought were weeds from the garden bed my tomatos are growing in. My mum says they're some sort of edible vegetable that seeds and the seedlings sprout up every year when the season's right. Ah well...I like to keep my garden beds neat and tidy so no miscellaneous weeds or plants for me. I changed the stakes for the tomato plants. Some of them are growing slowly but steadily. Others have started producing fruit! *claps hands in glee*



"Simba, look at moi" (doing my best Kath impression here)


"Look at moi, Simba, look at moi"


"Awww, you're such a dahling"


Today, I finally harvest the first of my baby carrots. Now, bear in mind they're not going to the straight skinny sort that you buy at the shops. Mine were kept in a pot too long when they were seedlings so it stunted their growth a bit. Some of them were starting to grow curly (like a pig's tail) when I finally had time to transplant them into the garden.

Look at my baby carrots!!


here's the most munted one


*Beams with pride* I picked half of my 'crop' and went inside to give them a good wash to get the dirt off.

Tonight I'll be having steak with vegetables. I wanted to roast the baby carrots with some potatoes. To bring out the sweetness of the carrots, I decided to roast them with orange and honey. I also sauteed some broccolini that I had picked the other day.

I parboiled the potatoes, then put them in a baking dish with the baby carrots. I had to slice some of the carrots in half so that they were all roughly the same size. I grated some zest off an orange and scattered it over the vegetables. I then squeezed the juice from the orange and poured that over the vegetables. I drizzled some olive oil over them and then into the oven for about ten minutes. I then took the vegetables out and mixed through some honey and returned it to the oven until the vegetables started to get brown edges.



The vegetables were DELICIOUS!!

Sirloin with Marjoram & Thyme
Broccolini in pan juices & Butter
Orange & Honey roasted Potatoes & Baby Carrots

No comments: