Friday 24th Oct '08

Last night I was out all call from 0130hrs, driving back and forth between the Subiaco and Hollywood labs. I only left just after 0600hrs and was ravenous. I'd had a few coffees while at work so when I got home, I made myself a big breakfast.

bacon
eggs
toast
mushrooms
tomato


Christina was just about to get up so I made her some too. She wanted her eggs poached so I tried doing them in a shallow pan with some water. The eggs were straight out of the fridge and I suppose not as 'fresh' as they could be (apparently the fresher the eggs are, the better they poach) but they turned out ok. I cooked them in egg rings in the water so they managed to hold most of their shape. After all the fiddling around, it would have just been easier to have them sunny-side up like I usually do.

After breakfast, I debated whether I should stay up or go to sleep. I was supposed to do the 8-4pm shift at work but after being out on call all night, I wasn't required to be at work. After checking my emails, I couldn't stay awake even after all the coffee, and headed to bed.

In the evening, I rushed around to put together all the groceries I'd bought to head over to Ling and Shallen's place to have steamboat for dinner. Initially we were supposed to have it at my place but plans changed, so I covered the pot (in which the stock for the steamboat had been boiled in) with glad wrap and then drove cautiously to their place, where we were in a frenzy to prepare all the food.

waiting for the stock to come to the boil




The weather was fantastic for steamboat! As we sat down to eat, it began pouring outside.

Ling's wantans
enoki mushrooms
red capsicum
a selection of yong tau fu & tofu
prawns
chicken
fish cake
beef balls
squid
chinese cabbage
bee hoon
somen noodles


These little dumplings are filled with mushrooms and look suspiciously like little boobs!


We thought perhaps we had overdone it with the amount of food, but it's amazing how we always seem to be able to plough through it all - hee hee.

I decided that tonight's feast warranted the opening of one of my magnums that I bought when we were in Margaret River a few years ago. Rather fitting that at the time I bought it, all of us had been there.

2001 Watershed Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot

A beautiful drop!


Later on, of course we got the munchies! Ling, Kong and I reheated some of the leftovers from dinner. Yum!

blue steel!


I totally forgot about Meng taking this photo!


Fantastic steamboat night! I'll be happy if this is the last one I have until next year.

No comments: