Tuesday 16th Dec '08

Singapore Day 15


[1030hrs]

YAWN - it's hard work being a baby


[1230hrs] Christina, Jocelyn and I went to Lot 1 for lunch.

sliced fish soup with bee hoon - SD$5.50


Jocelyn had the beef ho fun


we shared an ice kachang & nata with lime & sago


[1300hrs] We walked around for a bit and saw this store selling fake bread and donuts. We've seen them everytime we've gone to eat at the food court but never really stopped to find out what they are. This day we did. A sales guy was outside the store with some of the 'donuts' on a tray as if they were real donuts, offering them to people. Turns out they're sort of like stress balls or you can use them as soft cushioning to rest your wrists when you're typing.

"would you like a donut?"


the Four Leaves bakery where I buy my breakfast from most days


[1430hrs] Sushi for my afternoon snack.



[1800hrs] Aunty got out her portable sphygmometer and held a clinic for us.

my results: 123/86
NORMAL RANGE


[2100hrs] Christina, Jocelyn and I went out for dinner at Chijmes.

CAPELLA



It was unanimous - we all felt like pasta. Most restaurants in Chijmes were busy but when we strolled past Capella, there were only a few people dining outside. The prices were a tad on the expensive side, but it was nearing 9pm, we were hungry, and my feet were killing me (new shoes I was trying to break into).

As as aside, speaking of shoes...I have surrendered to the pointy-ended shoe. Partially because 90% of the shoes are now pointy-toed and partially because they do look sexy! I'm still against all the bling though.

entree
Fergato di Anatra - SD$32.00
pan-seared duck liver served with sauteed leeks and marjoram-scented mango salsa


palette cleanser
apricot sorbet - complimentary


main
Tagliolini Seppie Nero con Frutti di Mare - SD$30.00
black ink tagliolini tossed with seafood, cherry tomatoes and baby spinach in light tomato sauce




I also had a glass of wine but did not make a note of what I had. It was an Italian wine, that's all I remember!

[2200hrs] We went to Baroque for a few drinks and were pretty much the only ones in the bar while the band continued to play as if they had drawn a full house. Most patrons were outside having their drinks, but I do think that it was starting to get busy just as we were leaving.



[2300hrs] David picked us up and brought us to a Belgian bar/bistro for supper and drinks.

Brussels Sprouts


Brussels Sprouts Platter - SD$28.00
Belgian cheese
charcuterie
rollmops on toast
ham, caper & gherkin salad on toast
slow braised pork belly with mustard
beer battered onion rings
grey shrimp egg mimosa


Mussels - entree size SD$18.50
I don't remember which serving style we had, but it was delicious!


We also had fries - big steak chips that were perfect with the beer. You get free refills of fries when you order them with mussels or clams! It says so on their website!!

The floor manager, Josiah, was extremely helpful in making beverage choices for us. Especially for Jocelyn because she's not a beer drinker and dislikes to even try them. He suggested fruit beers for David, Christina and Jocelyn - which they absolutely loved! - and a pilsner for me si5nce I really enjoy my Stella Artois. I had the Bavik Premium Pilsner (5.2%). Seriously, check out the beer list on their website.



The owner of Brussel Sprouts is Belgian and he's decked out one wall of the restaurant with a Tin Tin design! Josiah encouraged us to run inside to take photos when he realised how snap-happy we were!



All in all a really good night out - I've really enjoyed spending time going out with Jocelyn and Christina while we've been in Singapore together. We don't go out together in Perth because we have different interests, different friends and different lives. It's nice to have this opportunity to catch up, especially before Christina goes overseas to Canada to work in the new year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh dear lord, foie gras!
one of those things that you can't get here for a reasonable price =(