Saturday 19th September '09

I still had a headache when I woke up today. I only managed to get about four hours of sleep before I got woken up with the noisy water pipes between my bedroom wall and the laundry. *Aargh*

By the time I shuffled into the kitchen to find something to eat before work, Mum had made some wantan dumplings. I made some soup by boiling just water, some Vegeta stock, soy sauce and dried chilli flakes. I also added some vegies that one of Mum's elderly friends grew in his vegetable garden. He supplies us with different Chinese vegetables throughout the year. What he brings us depends on the season. But they're healthy looking, fresh and organic. They last forever in the fridge too.

Lunch
Wan Tan Soup with Tang Oh


'Tang Oh' is a variety of chrysanthemum that the Chinese people regard as a garden vegetable. Growing up, I remember Mum used to grow it every winter and we'd have it in soups and particularly steamboat. She hasn't grown it for a long time, and this is the first time I've had any for years. I did try to grow some last year when I was hit with the gardening fever, but the plants died out while I was on holiday.

Supper
Steamed Tofu with Pork Mince


This is a dish that Mum hasn't made for many years. She slices tofu, layers it into a dish and then spreads mince (usually pork), that has been seasoned, over the top. She then steams it.

No comments: