Friday 4th December '09

I spent most of today in the kitchen. In preparation for tomorrow's BBQ at Ling and Shallen's place, I had made a start last night.

Parmesan Polenta
I cooked some polenta to a thick consistency, then added some grated parmesan and folded it through.

When it was cool enough, I spread it onto a tray with a layer of baking paper on it.

I did this last night, so today I had fun with the next step.

Using my smallest gingerbread man cookie cutter, I cut out gingerbread man shapes in the polenta. The reason being that I'll have them grilled tomorrow at the BBQ and then thrown into a salad. Something to get into the Christmas spirit.

With the leftover polenta after I cut out the shapes, I panfried them in some olive oil and served it up in a salad later.


Spicy Rissoles

Ingredients:

  • 500g beef mince
  • 1/2 medium brown onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1 tspn ground coriander
  • 1 tspn ground cumin
  • 1 tspn ground sweet paprika
  • 2 Tbn fresh parsely, chopped
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
  • salt & pepper to season
  • 1 Tbn olive oil

    Method:
    1. In the olive oil in a pan, sautee the onion and garlic until softened.
    2. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients, including the onion and garlic.

    3. Roughly shape the mixture into balls.

    You can cook these as meatballs/rissoles or flatted them with the spatula when you're frying them to make them into patties for burgers.



    Afternoon Snack
    Prawn Salad with Parmesan Polenta & Baby Asparagus Spears


    Mum made some sushi for me to take to Kings Park in the evening. I've never actually made sushi from scratch before. I suppose because it's just easier to have Mum make it since she makes them at work everyday. One day I'll make the time to do it...just for the experience.

    I picked Ben and Ivy up from the city and we drove to Synergy Park in the Kings Park. Although it was so hot today, the weather cooled right down as we got there and it was gorgeous sitting there on the grass, devouring the sushi. All that was missing was a few beers or a glass of wine. I'm such an alcoholic!

    A mozzie took a dive into my drink.


    We didn't stay long because we wanted to go to see Long's new niece at the hospital. We went to King Edward Memorial Hospital for Women. Strangely enough, this is the hospital I was born in. All those years ago...and I have never actually been there since. It was a bit weird being there...being there where it all began...

    It was hard not to feel clucky crowding into the room to gaze over the adorable tiny sleeping baby. She looked sooo cute and at peace. Whenever there was a silent pause amidst our cooeing and gushing, she'd make the most cutest little baby sighs while she slept.

    I try to push the thoughts out of my mind, but every now and then they creep into my mind and I feel burdened with the worry that I may not have kids. As we were leaving, we were talking about it and I think the guys were worried I might sneak into some unsuspecting mother's room and snatch her baby! haha! That can be Plan C.



    Dinner
    Sage & Cranberry Stuffed Chicken Thighs
    with Potato Mash


    I prepared these last night too.

    Sage & Cranberries Stuffed Chicken

    Ingredients:
  • 2 chicken thigh fillets, skin on
  • 10 good sized fresh sage leaves, chopped (or 1 tspn dried sage)
  • 1 Tbn dried cranberries, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
  • 1 Tbn olive oil

    Method:
    1. Trim excess fat from the thigh fillets.
    2. In a bowl, combine all the ingredients (minus the chicken).
    3. Carefully lift the skin of each thigh fillet up off the meat to make a cavity to put the stuffing mixture, ensuring that you keep all sides except the opening intact.

    4. Insert the stuffing into each thigh fillet.
    5. Roast in the oven for about 40 minutes at 180C or until skin is dark brown.


    You can use some kitchen string to tie the end where the opening is to help keep the stuffing in, but it shouldn't be necessary. It does help the chicken hold its shape while cooking though.

    I made some mashed potato to serve with it. I loved the crispy skin!

    Supper
    Prawn Cocktail Salad


    I made the cocktail sauce with some whole egg mayo, tomato sauce and lemon juice. That's the rest of the prawns gone!
  • No comments: