With my fantastic time management skills, I'd prepared most of the food for tonight's BBQ last night. So, I had just enough time to make a trip to the pet shop to get some fresh plants for the aquarium.
However, there was one dish that I couldn't prepare earlier. I came across the recipe in a recipe book for finger foods. I couldn't wait to try it! The recipe says to use large frankfurts and cut them into half, but I just bought the mini frankfurts. *Duh* Also, the recipe asks for cornmeal but I couldn't find any. I used polenta instead.
- Insert a wooden skewer into each frankfurt.
- Dust each frankfurt lightly in the cornflour.
- Make the batter by sifting the flour into a large bowl.
- Mix in the polenta and make a well in the centre of the flour.
- Add the egg, water and oil and whisk until you get a smooth batter without lumps.
- Coat each frankfurt with the batter and deep fry them until golden brown.
The recipe makes enough batter to probably make at least 40 mini frankfurts. I couldn't help squealing in delight when they turned out so great! They're sooo cute! I couldn't wait to eat them! But I had to get them over to the BBQ first.
We got stuck into them as soon as I got there. Dipped in tomato sauce - delicious!
We quickly got stuck into the beer and food. There was so much meat! I couldn't wait to try the lamb that Kong marinated. He rattled off a list of what he used for the marinade...herbs and red wine.
Polenta & Grated Parmesan
Ling and Shallen bought a cake for Meng's upcoming birthday.
We settled inside to a game of Balderdash, but then got distracted watching "Apocalypto" on TV. Pretty good movie. I got through most of a bottle of wine. Maybe that's why I couldn't sleep tonight...