Saturday 5th December '09

I spent a few hours today performing the usual ritual with the aquariums. The plants are all still alive but most of the floating plants have been eaten. Am I not feeding the fish enough? Or are they so bored that all they do is eat?

With my fantastic time management skills, I'd prepared most of the food for tonight's BBQ last night. So, I had just enough time to make a trip to the pet shop to get some fresh plants for the aquarium.

However, there was one dish that I couldn't prepare earlier. I came across the recipe in a recipe book for finger foods. I couldn't wait to try it! The recipe says to use large frankfurts and cut them into half, but I just bought the mini frankfurts. *Duh* Also, the recipe asks for cornmeal but I couldn't find any. I used polenta instead.


MINI CORNDOGS

Ingredients:

  • mini frankfurts
  • wooden skewers cut in half
  • cornflour for dusting
  • oil for deep frying

    Batter:
  • 1 1/3 cups self-raising flour
  • 1/4 cup polenta
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 Tbn oil

    Method:
    1. Insert a wooden skewer into each frankfurt.

    2. Dust each frankfurt lightly in the cornflour.

    3. Make the batter by sifting the flour into a large bowl.
    4. Mix in the polenta and make a well in the centre of the flour.
    5. Add the egg, water and oil and whisk until you get a smooth batter without lumps.

    6. Coat each frankfurt with the batter and deep fry them until golden brown.

    The recipe makes enough batter to probably make at least 40 mini frankfurts. I couldn't help squealing in delight when they turned out so great! They're sooo cute! I couldn't wait to eat them! But I had to get them over to the BBQ first.

    We got stuck into them as soon as I got there. Dipped in tomato sauce - delicious!

    We quickly got stuck into the beer and food. There was so much meat! I couldn't wait to try the lamb that Kong marinated. He rattled off a list of what he used for the marinade...herbs and red wine.

    Cooked to perfection on the BBQ.


    Kong's Herb & Red Wine marinated Lamb


    Chicken Wings


    "Naughty" Potato Salad


    "Good" Potato Salad


    My polenta men were grilled on the BBQ before being thrown into the salad.


    Baby Cos, Sundried Tomato,
    Polenta & Grated Parmesan




    Ling and Shallen bought a cake for Meng's upcoming birthday.

    None other than Pandan Cake!


    We settled inside to a game of Balderdash, but then got distracted watching "Apocalypto" on TV. Pretty good movie. I got through most of a bottle of wine. Maybe that's why I couldn't sleep tonight...

    Ling's boss's home made ginger beer. Who likes head!? haha


    The Birthday Boy's showing his age.
  • No comments: