Friday 2nd April 2010

I love coming home from work to the aromas of something waiting for me in the kitchen. Mum made one of my favourites.

Nasi Lemak


As with Hainanese Chicken Rice, one of the essential components is the rice. You have to take the time to prepare the aromatic rice or the dish just isn't the same. Mum made the nasi lemak rice in the rice cooker - I could see the pandan leaves in there.

Mum prepared several individual accompaniments. Deep fried whitebait, fried cubes of tofu, Fried fish, omelette, and the chilli fried with onions. I arranged a bit of everything around my portion of rice and heated it in the microwave. I then sliced some fresh cucumber to go with it. The cucumber takes the edge off the heat from the chilli.

Yum!

Looking at the whitebait up close, I couldn't help but be reminded of all my new little guppy fry swimming around in my aquarium. Look at the eyes! But I love to eat them! The whitebait...not the guppies =P


For dinner I wanted something a bit lighter than usual but I still needed a hit of carbs.

Dinner
Grilled Banana Prawns with Banana, Garlic & Thyme
Baked Potato Wedges & Asparagus


I brushed the prawns with crushed garlic and dried thyme
that I had mixed in with some melted butter.


I tossed potatoes wedges through some melted butter,
seasoned them with some cracked sea salt and baked them in the oven.


The prawns and asparagus only needed several minutes in the oven.

They were delicious!!

No comments: