Wednesday 24th November 2010

Last night I baked a few batches of cupcakes to bring to work as it's my last day in the office today. I cheated with the baking by using the premade flour base mixture but I altered the recipe to make it taste better. I used a chocolate mixture for the cupcakes and added some crushed walnuts and substituted half the milk required with buttermilk. The cupcakes turned out deliciously moist.

I made two sizes - regular size and smaller 'calorie conscious' size.



BOUCLA
349 Rokeby Road, Subiaco

Vince and I anticipated lunch here today, with hopes to finally taste the highly recommended eggplant dish. Alas! by the time we got there on our lunch break, it was all sold out. I was trying not to stare at the luckly patrons who managed to get a slice.

Nevermind, we decided to stay and have something else. There was a spinach and fetta pie that Vince chose but I decided to just have some salad - some baked potato wedges, lima beans in tomato sauce and Greek salad. We ordered our lunches and coffees, paid, and squeezed between people and tables to find a seat.

We got our coffees - hurrah!

Half an hour went by and there was no sign of my plate of salad or Vince's pie. Surely it couldn't be that busy that they couldn't scoop my salad? I started to worry - it wasn't a good sign when I saw the cafe staff begin tidying up tasks behind the counter. Where is my lunch!?

We managed to get the attention of who we assume was the owner - she went to find out where our lunch was and came back to tell us that there must have been a mixup or they couldn't find us. They ran out of the potato salad that I wanted. She offered to make us fresh salads but I was a bit unsure. I was torn between staying or just going and grabbing someone quick to eat back at the office. She mentioned steamed asparagus and I decided to stay.

Five minutes later, our salads arrived. Vince had his spinach and fetta pie with a pile of mesclun. I had this:

Lima beans and Greek salad.


There was no sign of any asparagus! It was just the lima beans and Greek salad, which was what I had said I didn't want. This salad cost me $12. Which is why I just can't justify buying salad when I'm out for lunch. I could throw one together for a few bucks. Yes, the ingredients were lovely and fresh. The dressing was nice and tangy. I love the lima beans but I know they came from a can. The only reason I ordered the salad was because I wanted the potato wedges to fill me up. I can't feel full on a plate of salad! I need some meat or carbs!

Anyways, just as we were about to really start grumbling over our situation, we were offered some free cake and coffee. Vince leapt at the offer and so I asked for one of the muffins that I thought looked tasty on the way in. Although I would have preferred my lunch, this gracious attempt to soothe things over did appease us and I would be happy to go back. I really do love their coffee.

In face, I'm considering taking up some shifts there...I do miss the hospitality game. Who knows, I might be the bright, happy, friendly smile they need to brighten up the place. All the girls who work there are always so rude, unattentive and never make eye contact when they're serving me. I just googled some reviews on the place and I see I'm not the only one who thinks so.


ESS BAR
531 Hay Street, Subiaco

I caught up with a few friends tonight and after a few drinks at the Subi Hotel, we ambled down the road to the Ess Bar for more drinks and some food.

My first time here and we were some of the very few people there. Either it was too early, too late, or just quiet for a Wednesday.

Fish & Chips


Sarah had the Steak Burger

No comments: