Saturday 17th November 2012


I have always wanted to make chicken liver pate.

I have always been too lazy to commit to actually doing it.

Until tonight.

A few days ago, the boss at work bought some chicken livers and only need a few tiny pieces for work, so instead of wasting the rest of the livers, I put my hand up to take them home and make pate.

That was a few days ago. I have been procrastinating since!

But, tonight I needed to get it done or else the livers would be wasted.

So...I googled a few recipes and settled on one that was inspired by Maggie Beer's Pates. Surely I can't go wrong with that!? Here's the link.

I began by trimming any remaining bits of gristle off the livers. Fortunately, these livers from IGA were actually really neatly trimmed already.

Next step, fry them in some butter.


Next, throw them in the food processor with a whole block of butter and puree.

Yes, more butter. How do you say 'quadruple bypass' in French?

I don't have a food processor or blender so I was really crossing my fingers that my stick mixer would work. I really didn't want chunks of buttery liver hurling around my kitchen.


Aah, the puree. The colour of it was totally disgusting, I have to admit.

I poured the puree into some ramekins and the last step was to make the gelee cap and pour that over the top of the pate and then let it all set in the fridge.

You need to allow the flavours to develop overnight - I'll take them to work tomorrow! I must say, they look absolutely gorgeous!!

No comments: