Wednesday 31st Oct '07

BUN BO HUE

Tonight I made my version of the Vietnamese hot spicy beef noodles dish 'bun bo hue'. If I had the time, I would make the stock from scratch with pork hocks but sometimes I'm in a rush or there aren't any available at the shops.

For the stock I use garlic, onion, sambal olek, lemongrass, star anise, fish sauce, soy sauce, shrimp paste, and Vegeta vegetable stock to give it a boost. I cook the vietnamese rice noodles while I'm making the stock and set them aside. I usually buy some pork belly, a cut of beef (casserole works fine), and some beef balls. You cook these whole in the stock after it has had time to boil and the flavours have come together. The meat is taken out and sliced finely.

Serve by putting some noodles in a bowl, add your sliced meats, bean shoots, finely chopped onion, and garnish with coriander sprigs. Pour the hot stock over and add a squirt of lime juice if you like the zesty taste.


No comments: