Sunday 1st Jun '08

Today we took my aunty to dim sum in Northbridge. Instead of going to our usual venue, Jocelyn suggested Emperor's Court on Lake Street. Now it's been close to eight years since I have been to this restaurant and I had no intention of ever going back there. There was nothing special or memorable about it the first few times I went all those years ago and today only reaffirmed that opinion.


We ordered the usual suspects:
chicken feet
steamed prawn dumplings
steamed pork dumplings
rice flour rolls with barbecue pork
deepfried seaweed rolls
egg custard tarts
century egg and pork porridge
shanghai dumplings


The chicken feet - which are my absolute favourite!! - were not that great. The dough for the steamed prawn dumplings was awful. It fell apart when you picked it up and tasted like congealed lumpy bits of corn flour. Even though they've revamped the place and it has an oriental ambience, I find it dark and the food just doesn't make the experience worthwhile. Sorry Jocelyn, but I didn't like this restaurant all those years ago and I haven't changed my mind after today!!

After dim sum, we walked through the train station and had a coffee before I headed to work and the rest went home. For dinner I enjoyed the Nasi Lemak that Mum had bought for me when she went to the Canningvale Markets earlier in the morning. I prefer the one that is served with ikanbilis. The egg omelette was wafer thing - would have liked more of it!

No comments: