Saturday 23rd Aug '08

CRAZY FOR CUPCAKES

Today I rushed home to help frost and decorate cupcakes for Jocelyn's joint birthday celebration with her boyfriend, David. She was taking cupcakes to the Onyx Bar (on Outram Road, West Perth). Christina spent last night baking about two hundred -

yes, TWO HUNDRED

- vanilla cupcakes. Jocelyn was a bit distressed because it was 4pm and none of the cupcakes had yet been frosted and Christina was no where to be found and hadn't returned her phone calls or sms's.

I stopped by the shops on the way home to buy some sprinkles and lollies to use for the decorations. As I pulled up in the driveway, I could see that Christina had arrived home just before me and we all set about in an icing sugar frenzy for the next few hours.

For the decorations we used:
Marshmellows - I sliced them and arranged them on the cupcakes as flowers or just used two to create a sort of butterfly shape. They were soooo sticky to play around with though.
Fruit Flavoured Sticks - I sliced these and used them as flowers.
Sprinkles - I bought several packets of different coloured sprinkles to use.
Silver Cachous
Edible Butterflies - these came in pink and white.

Pink Frosted Cupcakes



Green Frosted Cupcakes


Blue Frosted Cupcakes

Christina wouldn't listen to any of my suggestions for decorating these ones. She wanted to do them blue and yellow for the Eagles' colours since David is a supporter. First, she sprinkled some icing sugar that she had made yellow with food colouring, but it just made them look like someone had dropped them all and there was sand on them. She then tried to put some yellow sprinkles on them but then they looked like they were covered in eggs laid by some bug. She finally put some of the yellow coloured fruit sticks on them. Should have used some pink and purple sprinkles, if you ask me.

Dark Blue Frosted Cupcakes

Having alot of the blue frosting leftover, she added some red food colouring to try to make it purple but there was just too much blue in it already. Looks good though!

Eventually, we'd decorated enough trays of cupcakes to be satisfied and as soon as Jocelyn's friends had arrived, I headed out with them to drop them off at the Onyx.

outside the Onyx Bar


I was tired and hadn't had dinner yet so I stopped at Spencer Village to grab some takeaway on the drive home. Doh! The Vietnamese stall was already closed so I ended up getting something from one of the other stalls.

Rochor Mee
It tasted good but I was disappointed there was not much sauce


We still had about half the cupcakes left so Christina spent the rest of night frosting and decorating them. We'll take some to work and to our cousin's kids. Perhaps even eat a few ourselves.

No comments: