Wednesday 13th Aug '08

Today I slept in until 6pm. Ack! No wonder I had a headache when I got out of bed! I had a bit of the fish my mum was frying in the kitchen. I usually don't eat fried fish unless it's fish that actually tastes better when it's fried. This fish was delicious with the chilli my mum made to go with it. My mum's homemade processed chilli with some soy sauce and kumquat juice. Towards the back of the plate you'll see the skin of the fish. I like to save the skin till last - just like I do with chicken - it's so tasty because it absorbs all the flavour while being cooked.

Dinner at Long's place tonight!

We were all told we were having vietnamese pancakes. Not knowing what these were, we thought perhaps Long meant the vietnamese spring rolls. No - he meant pancakes. I just did a bit of googling and I think they're called Banh Xeo. They're typically made with a pancake/crepe mixture of rice flour, turmeric powder and coconut milk. They're panfried like a pancake or crepe and stuffed with pork, prawns and bean sprouts.

Entree
Long brought out a packet of assorted cream biscuits. My favourite in the pack are the ones that have the pink cream in the centre - except the cream isn't actually pink. Go figure.


On the table:

the pancake mixture
prawns
pork
mung beans
bean sprouts

greens
vietnamese mint
lettuce
cucumber
baby cos
some sort of herb that tastes like FISH

Yes...this herb tastes like fish! I didn't believe it so I bit off the tip of the leaf shown in the photo below and eww yuk! I spat it out immediately. I just googled 'vietnamese herbs' and the name of this herb is Diep Ca - or in english Fish Herb! One guess as to how it got its name. I will be avoiding this herb next time!



Now we weren't sure how this dish worked. Long's brother was cooking the pancakes for us and when Dau arrived he pretty much ran the kitchen. He cooked the mung bean shoots, pork, prawns and mung beans in the pan. Then he poured in some of the pancake mixture and once that had cooked for a bit, he'd fold it in half and serve it up.

I got the lucky first one!
Before I was told how we'd be eating it,
I piled it high with the fresh fillings - ack


Now our turn - we we were told we're supposed to eat it rolled up in lettuce. Too bad the lettuce Long got was oakleaf lettuce. The pancake was falling through the gaps in the lettuce! Mine was so messy to eat haha. We all did our best though.


Kong managed to eat his with no problems since he'd put aside a few pieces of iceberg lettuce to wrap his in. Some of us resorted to forks in the end. It was hilarious watching us try to eat it. The messiest meal I've had since...since I can remember!


We noticed the prawns had a crunch to them - Long hadn't peeled ALL of them haha.

Attempt One
I couldn't figure out how to roll mine up so as not to
squeeze all the pancake and its filling out wah


Attempt Two
I managed to pick it up like a kebab but I was pretty
much eating the bits hanging out or whatever fell off


top left - Long's pancake
bottom right - Dau's pancake

and the winner for best presentation is...Dau!


We finished the night with the guys playing poker and I was happily watching the Olympics uninterrupted.

No comments: