Saturday 8th Nov '08

Diary of a House-Sitter: DAY FIVE


This morning Noel, Fleurette, Sarah and I caught up over dim sum at Emmas in Victoria Park. We were all really hungry so we went all out and ordered all our favourites.

steamed prawn dumplings
steamed pork dumplings
chicken feet
pork spare ribs
deepfried prawn dumplings
seaweed seafood rolls
roast duck
deep fried squid tentacles
battered soft shell crab
rice flour roll with BBQ pork
mango pudding


On the way home, we stopped at Pet Magic on Albany Highway, Cannington. Benoit works there on Saturdays now so we thought we'd say 'hi' and also have a look around since Noel and Fleurette are expecting to get their new puppy soon. I went to look at the puppies and fell in love with a Maltese cross Shih Tzu. I asked to hold him and he was soooo soft, so placid and looked up at me with gorgeous little brown eyes as if to say "I love you, please take me home". My heart broke when I had to hand him back. If I didn't have such a busy two months ahead of me, I would have bought him right then and there. I made up my mind that if he's still there when I return from Singapore, I'm going to buy him. Who am I kidding though, there is no way he will still be there. Someone else is going to buy him and I only hope that they love him and care for him as I would if I could take him home with me. *sigh*

I dropped Noel and Fleurette home and then went home. Christina wanted to take Mum out for coffee in the Swan Valley so we headed out in my car. Unfortunately, the cafe we intended to go to was booked out for a wedding that evening so we tried a few other places but they were all closed in preparation for the dinner service. We finally tried Taylor's Studio Art & Coffee House on Great Northern Highway, Swan Valley. The place looked awesome. It had a laidback outback shed look. There were mismatched wooden tables, chairs, benches and old furniture amongst general junk that you may come across in a dilapidated Australian backyard.

There is a studio that showcases some of the woodwork furniture and lino cut paintings created by the owners. They also have some really fantastic artwork from local artists. I would love to have a few of the figurine pieces. Perhaps when I get my own place and have somewhere to put things.

After coffee, we went next door to the Waldecks and strolled around looking at the plants and garden displays. I am so in love with the weeping mulberry trees right now...I really want to get one but I've got too much on my plate at the moment so it may have to wait until next year. I couldn't resist having a few of the berries!


Back at home, I was famished since we weren't able to get anything to eat out in the Swan Valley. Mum had some sliced beef that she seasoned and fried, which I used to make some beef kebabs for us.

wholemeal lebanese bread
lettuce
tomato
onion
beef
mayonnaise


time for Simba's dinner


In the evening I went to Benoit and Ivy's place. Ivy was out so it was just us guys having a beer and catching up while we waited for everyone else to turn up so we could decide what we wanted to do. Benoit was testing the water in one of his fish tanks. I thought this made for a really cool photo.


Once everyone arrived, we decided to go play pool. I haven't played pool since...gosh, the beginning of this decade. I used to play alot back when Potblack was our local hangout on the weekends during highschool, but over the years I've lost my knack for the game. It really showed tonight when I was the common factor on the losing teams. However, after a few more beers, I actually got a bit better and made the play of the night by sinking two balls into the one hole in the same shot. *jumps up and down in disbelief*

We all got the munchies so went to the Singapore China Town Restaurant for supper. Some people ordered some rice porridge while the rest of us ordered some dishes to share.

sizzling beef with chilli
combination claypot
sze chuan chicken


On the way back to our car, I couldn't resist taking a photo of this ridiculous license plate.


Back at Benoit and Ivy's place, I had a coffee and watched a bit of TV with Ivy while the rest of them got stuck into a game of poker. I think after all the driving today, it was all just too much for me and I had to head home.

a mug with two mugs


I drove about 200km today - yikes!

I didn't have any trouble falling asleep in a bed that's not my own tonight.

No comments: