Tuesday 18th Nov '08

Geraldton - Day THREE


I had a quick cup of coffee before heading out to work. It's such a huge change driving in Geraldton. People actually obey the 40km per hour school zones here. It just feels more laid back and no one's rushing to get around. Or maybe it's just me and I'm just feeling elated because I'm out in the country getting some fresh air.

For lunch, I had the remainder of the pasta I cooked last night.

After work, I stopped by at the Queen's IGA to have a look around and I spotted some fresh cooked tiger prawns - perfect. I bought ten and couldn't wait to get home to eat them. I was too tired and hungry to hit the beach today so just veg'd out at home.

entree - prawn salad


I diced a roma tomato and piled them on top of some gourmet salad leaves. I arranged the prawns on top and then made a simple dressing by melting some butter with crushed chilli flakes and a pinch of sea salt in the microwave. The prawns were still cold from the fridge so as soon as I poured the melted butter dressing over the salad, it solidified on the prawns.


I sat down to watch some TV and peeled all my prawns before getting stuck into the salad. Oh my were they fresh, plump and tasty! I didn't have time to pick up any antihistamines while in Perth, so I was risking breaking out in hives to eat these little suckers!

main - porterhouse steak
with a creamy mushroom, garlic and white wine sauce
& a side of broccolini with a squeeze of fresh lemon


All accompanied by a lovely drop - Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc


The stove has those hotplate heating elements so it was a bit difficult to judge how long to cook the steak for but I didn't do too badly. I browned the steak a bit too much on one side but it wasn't burnt so didn't taste like charcoal. It turned out being on the rare side, but with the creamy mushroom sauce, I was able to polish through it without grimacing.

After dinner, I chopped up some baby eggplants and caramelised them with some zucchini and onion to make pasta for lunch tomorrow. I also threw in some prawns I'd bought from the deli section. Lashings of olive oil...yum!

I had to open my second bottle of wine...yes, had to.


supper - platter with hot Italian brawn
pickled cocktail onions
fresh cherries


I predicted that I would feel like nibbling on some cold meats tonight so I decided on trying something new that I saw in the deli. The hot Italian brawn. It turned out tasting rather bland. I should have gone for the regular brawn that I usually get.

Aah, I shall sleep well tonight after this feast. That's the problem when I'm bored...I eat.

No comments: