Wednesday 19th Nov '08

Geraldton - Day FOUR


Lunch - Penne with Caramelised Eggplant, Zucchini
& Prawns in Olive Oil, Garlic & White Wine


After work I went home to change and rushed to the beach for a swim, the weather being perfectly warm and only a slight breeze in the air. As I parked the car, I saw another car in the parking lot and several metres away, perched on top of the sand dune on a fold-out chair, was a guy strumming his guitar. I slid past him down the dune and as I was walking out towards the water, I pretended in my mind that his music was the soundtrack to my moment in time. I was amused! I was expecting it to turn into the Jaws theme when I got into the water - ha ha!

The water was absolutely beautiful and refreshing! I really could have stayed out there for the rest of the day until the sun set, but I needed to get back and make a start on dinner. I got out, rinsed myself off at the nearby shower and then decided there was time to take a brief stroll down the beach before going back. This would also give me time to dry off.

I can see the attraction of living here. Peaceful, laid-back. A beach pretty much at your doorstep. It's not that far from Perth. I suppose if ever I needed a break away from the stress of work, I could jump on a plane and come here to re-energise myself. There's an option worth thinking about next time.

Heading back to the car, I got stopped by the guy playing the guitar. He approached me and I suppose what happened next could be called one of those 'movie moments' that you always wish you could have whenever you're watching a romantic comedy. Except in knowing that this was my 'moment', I couldn't help cringing a bit as I realised how corny it was at the same time! The guy basically told me that I had given him inspiration for coming up with a song while he saw me out there swimming alone. I think I remember nodding and replying "Really? That's great..."

What followed was a brief conversation - basically he's driven over from Melbourne to settle in Perth after falling in love with it whilst on holidays not long ago. He writes music and sometimes gets it put into production for various things. He's currently working on music for some website. Anyhoo, I gave him my email address just in case he really does end up writing a song about me so he can send it to me.

On the drive home, I just couldn't help feeling a surge of self-confidence coursing through my body - I wanted to turn up the music and dance! My ego had been given a huge boost. Maybe there's hope for me afterall. All I have to do is go swimming alone in remote coastal towns.

I bought more of the fresh cooked Tiger Prawns and made another salad as an entree tonight. I used gourmet salad leaves, the other roma tomato I bought, and made a dressing out of olive oil, fresh lemon juice, chilli flakes and a pinch of rock salt. The lemon really helped create a light, zesty flavour.


A few hours (and a few glasses of wine) later, I got up and cooked my other piece of steak. I had it pretty much the same way as last night. I am going to have to make this steak sauce for my meat-loving friends one day!


On impulse, I bought this packet of cheese. I used to eat it alot when I younger, when my Mum bought it for us as a snack. I also had it at Noel and Fleurette's place one night a few weeks ago. I had a few pieces while waiting for my steak dinner to cook.

I went to bed chuckling over my "magical movie moment" at Sunset Beach.

No comments: