Friday 16th Jan '09

On my drive to work this morning, at about 0630hrs I approached the Causeway and saw a plume of smoke in the distance that looked like it was originating from near my work. As I turned onto Riverside Drive, I could see the smoke clearly and it seemed to be from a fire in Kings Park. Oh dear.


The news bulletin on the radio announced that there was a fire rampaging through Kings Park. I grabbed my camera and was able to take a few photos as I drove down Mounts Bay Road.

It's a pity there are people out there who have nothing better to do than to set precious parkland on fire. More than a decade of conservation work has gone into that area and for it to be destroyed in a fire - it's just sickening to think that there are people out there capable of such malice and stupidity.

After work, I stopped by Woolworths at Carousel, Cannington to get some groceries. I came accross the dragonfruit - I'd been telling my rellies back in Singapore that they cost about AUD$20 per kilo. Here is my proof.

AUD$24.98 per kilo


Back at home, I decided to try to use some leftovers for tonight's dinner.

Dinner
Stuffed Baby Capsicums
with Sweet Potato& Potato Mash
and Baby Spinach Salad with Creamy Saffron Dressing


Baby Capsicums stuffed with Spinach & Sundried Tomatoes

1. Cut the tops of the baby capsicums off and clean out the seeds.


2. Bake the capsicums in a preheated oven at 180C for about five minutes.
3. Meanwhile, sautee some chopped onion and crushed garlic in some olive oil in a pan.
4. Add some spinach leaves and chopped sundried tomatoes.
5. Add a splash of white wine if the mixture gets too dry in the pan.



6. Stuff each baby capsicum with this spinach mixture.
7. Cover the capsicum hollows with ricotta.
8. Place the 'lids' of the capsicums back on and back in the oven at 180C for about fifteen minutes or until the capsicums begin to brown.



Sweet Potato & Potato Mash

  1. Peel sweet potato and potatoes.
  2. Boil the sweet potato and potato in a pot of hot water until they're softened.
  3. Drain water from pot.
  4. Add a dollop of butter, a splash of milk, salt and pepper to taste, and mash the mixture. Add more milk if the mixture is too dry.


The salad consisted of some baby spinach leaves, sliced red onion and cucumber with the Creamy Saffron Dressing



I prepared a salad for work tomorrow as Andrea and I had discussed to have a little BBQ for lunch. For the dressing, I combined some olive oil, white balsamic vinegar and dried chilli flakes and wrapped it up in some gladwrap. All you have to do is pop open the 'gladwrap' and discard it after drizzling the dressing over the salad.

No comments: