Monday 22nd June '09

At home, Mum made a stirfry for me to have with rice porridge tomorrow if I felt like it.

Salted Fish & Bean Shoots Stirfry


It was difficult to cook dinner tonight. My heart just wasn't in it. I wanted to be in bed. However, I had a scotch steak in the fridge that needed to be cooked tonight.

I fried the steak and used the pan juices to make a red wine jus with mushrooms. I also made some couscous and stuffed it into a capsicum.



Dinner
Scotch Steak with a Red Wine Jus & Mushrooms
Capsicum stuffed with Couscous


I managed to eat about half before I felt sick. I needed some soup.

Roasted Fennel Soup

  1. Roughly chop a large fennel bulb, a brown onion and peel several cloves of garlic and roast with a drizzle of olive oil in the oven for about half an hour until they start to brown.
  2. In a pot, combine 1/2cup milk and 1 1/2cup chicken or vegetable stock. Add the roasted vegetables, season with salt and pepper and bring the mixture to a boil.
  3. Simmer the mixture for about ten minutes and then process the mixture.
  4. Return the pureed soup to the pot and reheat before serving.


I served the soup with some deepfried shallots and a sprig of the fennel that I kept aside earlier. Now this is what you need when you're feeling sick.

No comments: