Friday 2nd October '09

Lunch at Work
Sardine & Rocket Salad


I packed my lunch last night - homegrown rocket, sliced red onion, quartered cherry tomatoes, torn up bread roll, a can of sardines in tomato sauce, and olive oil and balsamic vinegar dressing. A light, healthy lunch with protein.

After work, I stopped by at Coles to take advantage of a special promotion they're running on the Philadelphia Cream Cheese range of products. If you purchase any three of their product range, you receive a recipe book for FREE! One of the ladies at work picked up a copy on one of her courier runs and I flicked through it and it had gorgeous pictures! I love Philadelphia cream cheese so this was one promotion I didn't want to miss!

I had cruskits with Philadelphia's cream cheese when I got home.



TODAY IS SIMBA'S 3RD BIRTHDAY!

As I usually do when I'm on the day shift, I took him for a walk around the neighbourhood. It was such beautiful weather, the fresh air (as well as the panadeine I took) really helped me overcome the headache I'd had all day. When we got home, I prepared Simba's dinner.

I scooped out his canned food and molded it on a plate into the shape of - A BONE!



Halfway through my creation, I shrieked in amusement at what I had on the plate...




Simba gobbled it up!



Spaghetti Carbonara

Ingredients:
  • 2 Tbpn butter
  • 1/2 brown onion, chopped
  • several cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1 tspn chilli flakes
  • 1 large sprig rosemary (1 tspn dried rosemary)
  • 1 cup button mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 cup speck/bacon, sliced
  • 1/3 cup cooking cream
  • 1/4 cup water


  • Method:
    1. Melt butter in a pan.
    2. Sautee the onion until translucent.
    3. Add the garlic, chilli flakes, rosemary and a splash of water and cook for a few minutes.
    4. Add the mushrooms and speck and fry for a few minutes.
    5. Add the cream and the remainder of the water and simmer. When the cream sauce begins to bubble, turn the heat to low and simmer for several minutes.
    6. Stir in al dente pasta and toss around in the sauce until coated.
    7. Serve with fresh basil.

    This isn't a traditional carbonara sauce because I didn't use eggs, but it's close!

    Aww, my baby is growing up so fast!

    No comments: