Friday 13th November '09

Breakfast
Omelette

I whipped up this omelette in no time at all - chopped onion, red capsicum, sliced spring onions, mushrooms and grated cheese. I ate it as fast as I made it!


Lunch at Work
Herb Chicken Skewers & Roasted Vegetables


I made these chicken skewers the other night. I roughly diced some chicken thighs, marinated them with whatever herbs and spices I felt like, and then stuck them on skewers and let them marinate overnight in the fridge. From memory...rosemary, sweet paprika, cumin, coriander, chilli flakes, cayenne pepper, cracked black pepper and olive oil.

I baked them in the oven for about twenty minutes on 180C and ate them with the leftover roasted vegetables from dinner the other night.

Simba cooling down after our walk.


David came over for dinner tonight, and since Jocelyn wasn't yet home, we had a beer while we hungrily watched Mum make dinner. He brought over some beer. First time I've tried it and I liked it.

Kirin


Mum fried some spring rolls for us to snack on.


Dinner
Mum's Hainanese Chicken Rice


Dad's family is originally from Hainan in China. My sisters and I grew up speaking Hainanese, although over the years it has become watered down and even mispoken by us. We speak English to Dad; we speak Hainanese to Mum. It does sadden me to think that one day my children will most probably not know how to speak Hainanese, and the language is already on the verge of being lost to the spoken world.

No comments: