Thursday 25th March 2010

I usually eat before I go grocery shopping to try to avoid impulse buying on an empty stomach. However, occasionally I will go to Centro Maddington with the intention of getting one of my favourites from the food court.

Chips & Gravy


Mum had visited a date farm up in the hills. I've never seen fresh dates and I don't like preserved dates. Which is why my Mum convinced me to try one of the fresh ones she bought. It was quite nice! Totally not what I expected. It had crunchy flesh like an apple. I found the oval shaped brown ones too sweet (left), but the round shaped ones were much nicer (right).

I buy alot of chicken. I'm not a fan of chicken breast, but I love chicken thighs because they're juicier and I always leave a bit of the fan on them when I cook them. I bought a kilo of thighs on special (6.99/kg). I usually separate and freeze them for later use. I like to package them in zip lock bags and label them as 'fine dice', 'rough dice' and some I skewer. I marinate them when I defrost them, usually the night before I intend to eat them.

Tonight seemed to be the night I carried out alot of prep work in the kitchen. Mum's friend gave her some red chillies that I really enjoyed eating. They're the right amount of hotness - not too hot and hot enough for me to relish a slice with each mouthful of food. I stuffed them with some fish paste that I bought. I freeze them for later use too.

Figs still appear to be in season. I bought a few and prepared them for an entree tonight. I planted some butter, honey and fresh sage leaves in each one, wrapped them in thinly sliced pancetta and baked them in the oven for about ten minutes.

Entree
Sage & Honey Figs wrapped in Pancetta


I didn't realise that each of my figs had a different coloured flesh. I prefer the red ones.

Dinner
Scotch Fillet with Mushroom & Peppercorn Gravy
Steamed Carrots & Corn


Supper
Instant Ramen with Fish Stuffed Chillies

No comments: