Thursday 17th June 2010

Today I relied on some cold and flu tablets to get me through the day. I had some much needed grocery shopping to do.

With my groceries put away, I set to work in the kitchen.

Dish 1 Chorizo, Fennel & Potato Soup

Dish 2 Pork & Fennel Sausage Rolls

I'm making soup because I feel like some and the sausage rolls are for Ramona's farewell lunch tomorrow at work.

With two dishes to make, I had to multitask.

Firstly, I fried some chopped onion and fennel in some olive oil and mixed this into some pork mince when it had cooled down.

I then cooked the soup - chopped onion, fennel, chorizo and potatoes in some chicken stock. Season with cracked black pepper.

Back to the sausage rolls - I seasoned the mince mixture with some ground white pepper and mixed in some grated mozzarella. My puff pastry, that I took out of the freezer earlier, had thawed and was ready to use.

Cutting the pieces of pastry in half, I placed some of the mince mixture along the centre lengthwise and then rolled the pastry up to form a roll.

I kept the plastic sheets to wrap around the roll because I want to freeze the rolls and bake them in the oven tomorrow before taking them to work.

Now back to the soup - after simmering for about fifteen minutes the potatoes were cooked through. I found my mix master and within minutes, I had a creamy soup.

The soup was delicious!! Creamy potatoes, with little chunks of the chorizo. I didn't need to season with any sea salt because the chorizo provides the saltiness.

Chorizo, Fennel & Potato Soup



the Queens Tavern
520 Beaufort Street, Highgate

I braved the cold tonight with Ramona and Nadine to catch up over dinner.

The restaurant section of the tavern was full so we sat outside near a heater. It was actually better sitting outside because we could hear each other (it was pretty noisy inside and my throat was much too sore to be shouting over the noise) except for the rowdy drunken yobs that sat down on the bench right beside us and hassled us intermittently.

We didn't bother with ordering starters tonight. Just headed straight for the mains.

Ramona: Braised Lamb Shank with mashed royal blue potato, red wine - 21.5


Nadine: Chorizo & Prawn Linguine with tomato, spinach, broccoli, parmesan - 23.9


Myself: Kangaroo Fillet with potato & leek gratin, garlic beans and jus - 26


Yes, some of you must be pretty surprised that I ordered kangaroo. I have never ever ordered a kangaroo dish when eating out. It's not that I dislike kangaroo meat. I have tried it before and rather enjoy it. But I still have some discomfort when I reminisce the days when I was younger and living in northern WA - my friend used to have a pet joey when it was found after its mother was hit by a car on the road.

Aside from this, the fillets were so lean, well seasoned and cooked medium. The colour was a gorgeous red. The gratin was a bit of a let down though. Not much flavour. The garlic beans were delicious and were blanched to perfection so they retained their crispness. Overall, a really good meal for a winter's day.

We were all happy with our meals. Really good value for money.

Ramona's flat white - made with love.

No comments: