Saturday 28th August 2010

BALINGUP MEDIEVAL CARNIVALE
August 28th-29th 2010, Balingup WA

This weekend is the highly anticipated medieval carnivale in Balingup, about 3.5hrs drive south of Perth. I spent the past few weeks sewing my own costume so I was really excited about it! I wouldn't say I'm a huge medieval buff - certainly not as much as some of the people we met down there - but I do love to get dressed up and going to things that are a bit different.

We got up early and Noel drove us down. We checked into our motel room in Nannup (we were unable to find accommodation in Balingup so the closest was Nannup, about forty minutes drive away from Balingup), got changed into our medieval inspired attire and then made the drive to Balingup. The weather was beautifully warm and the road snaked through gorgeous green landscapes on both sides. A wonderful countryside drive.

Upon arrival, we went in search of lunch.

My medieval hot dog with mustard and tomato sauce!


After a few hours of roaming the grounds, we went in search of some shade to rest. We managed to find some grassy fields and all I wanted to do was lie down and have a nap. The sun was out in force and I think I got a bit of heatstroke.

Sarah bought us some fresh bread and goat bouche, which we all enjoyed as our afternoon snack. All that was missing was either a glass of wine or a cup of tea.



Back in Nannup in the early evening, we strolled down the single street that makes up the little town. There were a few cafes as well as the pub at the motel we were staying at. While we were standing around on the street, we saw one of the cafes opening their doors and putting up an 'open' sign. So, we headed there for a cup of coffee before dinner.

Soy Macchiato at the Nannup Bridge Cafe.


Back at the Nannup Hotel Motel, we entered the pub in our full medieval getup, which drew some amused glances from the locals who were there having a drink.

Sarah had the Chicken Parmagiana.


I had the Scotch Fillet with Mushroom Sauce.


The steak was at least an inch thick and it was cooked as I had requested it - medium rare. It was soooooooo good!! Soooo tender and the sauce was deliciously creamy. The waitress confirmed that the steak they serve is from a local farmer. I wish I had a supply of beef straight from a farm.

We spent the rest of the night in each other's company, drinking the various fruit liqueurs we bought from the medieval carnivale.

No comments: