Saturday 15th May 2010

DUNSBOROUGH WEEKEND BREAK

Despite staying up till about 4am, I still managed to get up early and made breakfast. I love cooking breakfast for everyone when we go on these short trips. I can pretend I'm a short order cook and it's nice to cook for people who appreciate it. Nothing worse than cooking a meal for someone and them not coming to eat it until it's cold.

I bought the groceries to cover breakfast for this morning and tomorrow. Can you believe it cost $7.80 per person for all the breakfast foods? This is including staples like olive oil spray and milk!

Bacon, eggs sunny-side-up, mushrooms, tomato,
chicken chipolatas, hashbrown and wholemeal toast.

ALL of this for only $3.90. I think it's safe to say it beats IKEA's breakfast.
We ate our breakfast outside in the alfresco and then some of us walked down the path access to the beach. Yes - the house we rented is right on the beach! We stayed in Number 12 of the Halcyon Bay properties. Pity the weather is too cold to allow a swim.

After breakfast we all clambered into the car and hit some wineries.

Laurance Wines


Swings & Roundabouts


In the early afternoon we ended up in Margaret River for lunch.


SETTLERS TAVERN
114 Bussell Highway, Margaret River 6285

Benoit - Burger with Cheese


Ivy - Fish Burger


Long - another Burger!


Myself - Spaghetti Bolognaise

Yes, I was craving pasta and despite the huge serving, I was able to fish out all the spaghetti. I love a good spaghetti bolognaise.

We drove to a marron farm but were disappointed that they only had a few small marron left and we weren't willing to pay $60 per kg for them. On the way back to our house, we stopped in Margaret River and did some grocery shopping.

Yay - I get to cook dinner! I love the challenge of prioritising everything - what to chop, what needs to bake, what needs to cook, what should be done first - it's very important to make sure everything is cooked in time to be thrown onto the table so we can dig in while the food is all still warm.

Benoit had a nap and then joined me in the kitchen to make his pumpkin soup.

Team Benoit & Saz


While he napped, I roasted his pumpkin for him.


Long bought some fresh local mussels from IGA and he cleaned them while I prepared the ingredients to make chilli mussels.

We couldn't find lids for the pots, so we had to improvise!


Benoit working on his soup.


DINNER IS SERVED!


Ivy made the Garlic Bread.


We started with Benoit's Pumpkin Soup.


Roasted Potato & Carrots in Olive Oil.


Ivy prepared the oysters and we baked them in the oven.
Chopped Bacon & Butter.


Pork Sausages


We bought Scotch Fillets from the local butcher in Margaret River.
I cooked them medium rare - absolutely melt in your mouth tender!!
Too bad the photo is a bit blurry. I was in a rush to eat it.


Chilli Mussels!


For a late night snack, I put a spoonful of cookies and cream ice cream between these mini chocolate chip cookies. The boys gobbled them up.

No comments: